Friday, May 18, 2012

"We Can Do Hard Things"

Another week has come and gone and I survived it. I wasn't sure there for awhile but it's Friday so I must have gotten through it. I probably had two of the most hurtful things happen to me this week, but I also had a few very kind ones showered on me too. Isn't that what life is all about, "opposition in all things?" We have two baby showers tomorrow so I have been busy making baby quilts. I'm putting the finishing touches on both of them so hopefully they will be finished. I was asked by a good friend to take my sewing machine to the church Wed. evening and help sew together the pajama pants the girls will be wearing for the Trek and camp. After having to pick out the stitches twice in my first pair, I realized that my talent is not making apparel, just quilts. I finally just ended up ironing the waistbands and sewing them and the hems. I must not be that bad because they want me to go back in two weeks, Oh Joy! I started reading the conference talks and the first one is President Packer, "And a Little Child Shall Lead Them." I was a little bit down when I was reading and a few things really touched my heart. He says, "The ultimate end of all activity in the Church is to see a husband and his wife and their children happy at home, protected by the principles and laws of the gospel, sealed safely in the covenants of the everlasting priesthood. Husbands and wives should understand that their fist calling-from which they will never be released-is to one another and then to their children." 'He goes on to talk about how "the great discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than we ever did from our parents. We come to recognize the truth in Isaiah's prophecy that "a little child shall lead them." I know I have learned so much from my children and am so thankful to be their mother. That doesn't mean I like Mother's Day, whew, thank heavens that's over for another year. As I was sitting there Wed. evening sewing with those wonderful women, with those young women around us, I couldn't help but feel the spirits of our ancestors who didn't have fancy sewing machines, but got together in love to sew in the humblest of circumstances. I am in awe of those who gave up their lives to walk across the plains to gain religious freedom, they were the best example to me that "We Can Do Hard Things."

No comments: