Monday, May 21, 2012

"Just Count the Live Ones"

On Friday night when Rich got home from his interview we were talking about what he was asked. I always wonder what happens in those conversations in private, behind closed doors. I asked him if he told the general authorities about Kamber and how sad we are. He said "yes" and then I said, "well what did he say about that?" Rich said, "that those experiences are a refiners fire we have to go through in this mortal life." Then Rich went on to tell me a story that Elder Edwards told him about a dairy farmer that was serving a mission in the Phillipines with him. He had told him a story about when he was first married and only had a few cows, every night he would worry about something happening to them in the night, that maybe one would die which would cause financial ruin to his family.  So every night he couldn't sleep, he would just worry. When he would finally get up, the first thing he would do was go out and see if any were dead. After doing this for a long time, one morning as he was heading out to count them, he heard a voice that said, "just count the live ones." At first I didn't really understand what that meant, but then I realized that we need to stop looking at all our troubles and start counting all the blessing we have. I am so NOT good at doing that, seeing all the possitives and leaving the negatives alone. This weekend is Memorial day and all our extended family will go to the cemetery to honor those who have gone before us. I am so proud of my pioneer ancestors and all those who have help make me who I am today.

No comments: