Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Wish for Mother's Day

My sister and I decided to take my Mom shopping for Mother's Day. She needed to get a couple of baby shower gifts and we wanted to get her something new to wear. We only had a couple of hours because my Mom needed to get to her last piano lesson of the season, so we planned to meet at Kohl's and then on to Macy's and Dillard's. We got the baby gifts and then went in to Macy's to find something for an 82 year-old that is stuck in the 70's or 80's as far as fashion goes. As we wandered from rack to rack all I heard was, "no, that's ugly, that's too short, there isn't anything here, let's go." My sister and I finally just started shopping for ourselves looking at clothes we would like. Then it was off to Dillard's. The same thing happened except this time we did get her to try on a few skirts. Of course she didn't like any of them but she did end up buying one that she will probably end up making me take back. As we were strolling through the store I finally said, "you know Mom, pretty soon we will be dressing you anyway, and then we can put whatever we want on you." I hope I didn't hurt her feelings, we were just kidding, but the longer the day went on, the sadder I became. We really don't know how much time we have with our Mom, or Dad or even our children and grandchildren. We don't know how much time we ourselves have left on earth. I am not a big fan of this holiday on Sunday. It seems to be another stressful day that I clean my house and have everyone over for dinner and desert. I have my little list of all the things I want Rich to do for me: fill up my pool, install an ice maker, fix the misters and coolers for the animals so they don't die in the heat. I don't know how many of those things he will get done, and I hope my kids do small acts of service for me instead of spend any money, that is my wish for Mother's Day.

No comments: