Wednesday, May 5, 2010

When You Find Yourself A Little Gloomy

I have been a little bit down this week. Sometimes it seems like we just have one thing after another until I'm so discouraged I could just sit down and cry. Last night as I was unloading my feelings on my husband I finally just said, "I need to go somewhere for awhile until I can figure all this out." I didn't hear a response because I only have about ten seconds from the time he climbs in bed until he's out. He says it's because he has a clear conscience but I think it's because he "runs faster than he should all day." I know I over analyze things in my life. I try and figure out why those close to me do and say the things they do. I go to church and hear what I'm suppose to do, but somehow always fall short. The glass is ALWAYS half or mostly empty.
May is a hard month for me. I hate Mother's Day and now that I'm getting older I'm not too keen about my birthday either. I know most people love their birthdays and are gracious about it, but it is hard for me to be the center of attention even though it is nice to be remembered by my family and friends. My parents were both school teachers so May is a horrible time to have a child. I think my Mom told me I was born on the last day of school May 22. It seemed like every year they were so busy with report cards and end of the school activities that my birthday was just one more challenge for them. They did the best the could and I appreciate all they have done for me. One of my very special friends brought me a little book last week. It is called "The REMARKABLE SOUL of a WOMAN by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I have a huge crush on him because he seems like the kindest most handsome man in the church. Anyway, as I was reading it this morning guess what he talks about? Yep, Service. As women we have been born with natural instincts to nurture others. That is why we are chosen to be mothers. He gave three quotes that really touched me. President Spencer Kimball taught, "The more we serve our fellowmen in appropriate ways, the more substance there is to our souls." President Gordon B. Hinkley told a woman who had recently lost her husband, "Work will cure your grief. Serve others." Then the one I liked the best was President Lorenzo Snow who said, "When you find yourself a little gloomy, look around you and find somebody that is in a worse plight than yourself; go to him and find out what the trouble is, then try to remove it with the wisdom which the Lord bestows upon you; and the first thing you know, your gloom is gone, you feel light, the Spirit of the Lord is upon you, and everything seems illuminated." I love the quotes from the Prophets, they inspire me to try and do better. I received a nice thank you card from the Mother of young man I made the quilt for. She seems like such a wonderful person. I know how devastating it is to lose a loved one to a terrible accident. But one thing I have learned is that our Heavenly Father is aware of us and our trials. He loves us and wants us to live worthy so we can return to him. I know that if my life was always rainbows and butterflies I would not make the necessary changes to become a better disciple of Christ. Life will continue to move on and hopefully I will be up for the next "bump in the road."

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

I got this book for mother's day from Matt's grandmother. I need to take time and read it. I loved the quotes that you shared. I hope you have a great mother's day. You are a special lady, you hold a special place in my heart.