Friday, May 7, 2010

Seriously, So Blessed

After my last post I had a couple of people call to see if I was okay and if I was upset with them. I had to assure them that I have spent most of my life either pissed off or irritated at someone or something. It is a sad way to live your life but it is what it is. I have had a very quiet and productive day. Mindi and Dave left yesterday for California to take the Moser children to Disneyland. I could have invited myself to go along with them, but I know they don't want a grumpy old grandma hobbling through the "happiest place on earth". The last time I was at Disneyland which is in the 70's. I stood in line for 1 1/2 hours to get on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It was really hot and I decided then that it wasn't such a happy place for me. Hence, Rich and I never took our kids to Disneyland. I think they still haven't forgiven us for that, hopefully we did a few things for them to make up for that huge mistake. I just can't wait until Mother's Day because it is my favorite holiday. I heard on the news this morning that this special day is the second holiday for the amount of money spent, so I can hardly wait to see what my little darlings show up with. I'm really just kidding, I don't expect anything from them. When I was a young mother, a woman about my age now got up in church on Mother's Day and gave probably the best talk I have ever heard. She was a wonderful wife and mother and I couldn't believe the words of wisdom she spoke. I remember her talking about how as mothers we really try and do the very best we can, but still a lot of us feel so guilty for the mistakes we have made. I know it really touched me. She even said that she hates Mother's Day too. Then a few years ago someone said something to me that I try and remember every May. She said she tries to do everything possible to make her mother feel good and honor her and not worry about herself on that day. I thought that was really good so I keep trying to convince myself that I will do what I can to show my Mom how much I love and appreciate her. I feel so blessed to still have her on this earth, she is 80 now and I know she won't live forever. Rich's mother is also still with us so we are seriously so blessed! As I was talking to my Mom on the phone the other day I told her that I didn't get her anything this year. She is so hard to shop for because she is really such a simple person. They still live in the same house I grew up in. They still have most of the same furniture. She doesn't wear fancy clothes or jewelry, but she has the best heart of anyone I know. I was a troubled teenager and without her unconditional love for me, I know I wouldn't be where I am today. Every time I talk to her on the phone she tells me how "darling" I am and what "jewels" all of us kids are. My sister and I just laugh because we wouldn't really describe oursleves as darling. As I was telling her about my lack of gifts for her she said," Good, I don't need or want anything. Just tell me that you love me." I think I can do that and she will be thrilled.

No comments: