Thursday, May 27, 2010

Really, Five Fortune Cookies?

This has been a crazy week. I started out with a touch of the flu but got off pretty easy this time. Last week when I was doing my Grand Motherly duty, (sitting in the car watching Troy sleep) while Mindi went in to Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's and Walmart, I opened up some fortune cookies. I am not a big fan of Chinese food but occasionally when we've had too many crazy subs or hamburgers we will get some Pandas to share. Anyway, I love fortune cookies so as I was sitting in the car I opened them up, read the saying and of course ate the cookies. The first one said, "Now is the time to set your sights high and "go for it". Well, that's nice but it really doesn't apply to me right now, I'm too old. The second one was "The sun will shine through your heart and warm your soul." I thought that was a wonderful thought but I'm not that crazy about the sun especially here in Arizona in the summer. The third one was "A cheerful greeting is on its way." I'm still waiting for someone to say something cheerfull to me.The fourth one said "Your sense of humor is enjoyed by all." Well I don't know about that, I'm the kind of a person who you either really like or you really don't. I am embarrassed to say that I ate five of those little cookies but the last one said, "You may be called upon to help a friend." I really do try to be a good friend. It was so nice on my birthday to have so many well wishers, I hope I am as good of a friend to them as they are to me.
As I mentioned earlier in the week Dave's brother-in-law Craig passed away last Saturday. The family has been busy planning the funeral and Patti asked Mindi to make a book for people to sign at the funeral. She has been working on it all week, and finally finished it today. It is a wonderful book of memories and pictures of their family. I have had little flashbacks of the week after Kamber passed away. It now seems like a dream. I know it happened and I remember what we did, but I also know that most of that week I was in a fog. I remember every act of service, every meal that was brought in, all the flowers and plants and especially the cards and letters from family and friends. Those things will never be forgotten. They are etched into my mind and heart. I know what Patti and her children are going through and they have some long sad days ahead. But I know that because of their testimonies of Jesus Christ and the Atonement they will be able to move forward in faith and realize that they will be united with their husband and father again. That is my prayer for them.

No comments: