Monday, May 3, 2010

The Pterodactyl Is Back


I have been so emotional today. I don't know if it is because I am exhausted or just this weekend stirred up a bunch of feelings I haven't dealt with for a long time. I have often felt like I should have done better in lots of things in my life. Like be a better friend, wife, mother, and now grandmother. As I looked around at all my classmates I realized that I didn't really do much to befriend many of them. I know that being a teenager is a hard place to be. We are starting to see that with our oldest granddaughter who will turn twelve in August. I should have done a better job of studying and worrying less about my social life, and included more people into my life. Last week was really hard on me. Something or someone killed my cat, I found a chicken, or should I say parts of a chicken, (the feet and wings) in the pen. Feathers were all over the place. There again something, I'm assuming a big bird swooped in and killed it. Then yesterday when I went out to do my chores I put fish food in one of my ponds and there weren't any fish. I had moved all my fancy goldfish with the big bulged eyes and fancy tails into a bigger habitat because they needed some more room to swim, plus the water was green. Anyway, on the way to my reunion Rich had told me that our Pterodactyl was back. That is the name we gave this huge blue heron crane who comes in and eats all my fish. I was feeling pretty confidant that he couldn't get to my fish, but I was wrong. After church I went out and moved some of my BIG goldfish from the waterfall pond and put them in the little pond. I was moving a plant when I noticed that some of my fancy fish survived, they were just hiding from the crane. Aren't they smart? So that cheered me up a little bit. I remember studying "survival of the fittest" in science as a kid, I guess it is going on in my own backyard. Or as Rich says "it's just all part of the food chain." Well, I hope my mood is better tomorrow because Jenn and my sister are coming over to make green corn tamales. It is close to Cinco de Mayo isn't it? Plus my favorite holiday is coming up, all you mothers out there know how much we love Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Well---I am jealous that I am not as OLD as you cause I want a Forever Don keychain!!! Sorry about your fish. Did Mel tell you I saw her at a funeral? It was good to talk to her.

The McNeil Family said...

Thanks for the yummy tamales. I enjoyed coming over for just a little bit to visit and chat. I am grateful to have the Larsen's in my life. Thanks for being so caring to me. I am excited to help with Jens baby shower for her little boy.