Friday, May 21, 2010

"Tender Mercies"

I was talking to someone a few days ago about my blog. They said that they have a hard time reading it because it is so depressing. I write to try and help myself journal about my life experience. This is my story and I WILL NOT sugar coat anything. So I am sorry if sometimes my blog seems depressing, just don't read it if it makes you sad.
Spencer called this week and told me about something that happened to them, it has stirred up some strong emotions in me and with his permission I will try and tell their story. Spencer and Annie are wonderful people. He has been a joy to raise and I feel a deep amount of respect and love for him. They are also wonderful parents of two small sons who are quite a handful. He told me that on Sunday night he was in the kitchen when he heard a loud commotion upstairs and their young son Tyton screaming. He ran to the bedroom to find that these little tornadoes had pushed a filing cabinet over so they could jump from it onto the bed. They had the window open to let the cool Colorado air in on a nice spring day. When Spencer got to the room he saw that the window screen was barely hanging on and Tyton had some bruising and scratches on his chest and arms. Spencer asked him what happened and was told that when he jumped he hit the window and just about went out. "Someone pulled me back in." Spencer said, "Tyton who helped you back in the window?" He said, "Daddy you did." Spencer said, "No Tyton, I was in the kitchen and I didn't help you." Spencer then said that Tyton continued to say it was Spencer that helped him from going out of the window and falling 20 feet to the ground.
As I have talked a lot about two years ago we were "fat, dumb and happy" until we suffered the tragic drowning death of our beautiful granddaughter Kamber. Since then it has put a different filter on the way I see life. I have wondered how many times in my life that my loved ones have been spared. How many times have guardian angels saved them from a tragic accident or death? Why didn't someone reach out and pull Kamber to safety? I know this will all be shown to me when I go to the other side of the veil. I love the talk by Elder Bednar when he reminds us of all the "tender mercies" we receive daily from our Heavenly Father. Rich and I pray every night for the safety of our children, grandchildren, parents, siblings and those members of our ward who we know are struggling. I am so thankful that Tyton's life was spared. I know that it was a wake up call for his parents and Spencer said they will be keeping their windows closed and the bedroom door locked. All we can do is pray for their safety and hope the angels are watching over us all.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Wow---this story gave me chills. His guardian angel was at work for sure. I don't have the answer as to why some are spared and some are not. I do know that the other side is a good place and we are the ones who suffer more than the ones who have passed on. They probably wouldn't come back if they could and who could blame them. This place is getting crazier and crazier. I love reading your blog---it makes me smile---even when you are writing the "depressing" stuff. I just smile because I know my friend Teri and how I would not expect anything different from you---or want to---it just wouldn't be you.