Saturday, June 12, 2010

Service With a Smile

The phone rang early yesterday morning sending me in to a panic. It was my son Ethan wanting to talk to me. I always assume something is terribly wrong when I hear from any of my children that early. He asked me if I could come out and help Jenn who was overwhelmed being eight months pregnant and trying to put away all their stuff he had been moving over all week. We hurried and fed the animals and started a load of wash and headed out to Queen Creek with Mindi and her four children. As we turned from Elliot on to Ellsworth we pulled behind a huge U-Haul truck and Ethan's truck and trailer being driven by a friend. I told Mindi to hurry up and pass them so we could wave to Tayler and Kylie who Jenn had told me were riding with Ethan. As Mindi pulled next to them we rolled our windows down, honked and waved to them. I don't know what came over me but I started to cry. I was so full of emotion seeing that big truck with my son and grand daughters heading out to the house they will be living in. It reminded me of fourteen years ago when we left the dream home I loved in Lehi because of some difficulty we were having with one of our children. I remember it was around the 4th of July and it was 115 degrees. I truly thought I was going to die moving all of our stuff we had accumulated over the twenty years we had been married then. Unlike Ethan and Jenn's home we were moving in to a piece of crap. A house that has taken us fourteen years to fix up and we are still not finished with it. All I know is it has been the best move we could have made. We don't know why trials happen in our lives and make us take a leap of faith hoping it will be a blessing down the road.
As we got there, Jenn was in a huge mess. I was so overwhelmed because I couldn't even see where to start. Well, Mindi decided to run to Target and get some garbage bags and ended up getting some bread, peanut butter and jelly, granola bars, chips and some drinks. The kids were so good and helped keep Brookie occupied with some bubbles and Mindi worked her magic and helped Jenn organize her kitchen. As we left we had hoped that we helped take some of the load off of Jenn. When we got in the car Trace asked if they were going to get paid for helping. Mindi said, "Absolutely not! We came out to do service. We will get blessings by serving where needed." I then told Trace that our Heavenly Father smiles and is so happy when we pitch in and help. We pray that this will be a good move for Ethan, Jenn and their little family. We sure love them and want the best for them.

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

You have an amazing family. I know you will be blessed for all the sevice you render. I bet Jen was so grateful for your guys help