Tuesday, June 29, 2010

More Gratitude=More Guidance

Mindi left early this morning to watch Tristyn play in a volleyball tournament in Phoenix. She left her three little darlings with me to keep from burning the house down or some other crises. We went out and fed all the critters before they left to go to Golfland with friends. Annie came and took Troy and Tyton to see the new Toy Story movie, so I took a little break and read my scriptures and book. I hurt my back again yesterday carrying my heavy sacks of groceries in to my house, so I'm moving pretty slow today.
I ran in to an old friend in the grocery store yesterday. She is a darling girl who lived by us down in Lehi. She has since divorced and moved to Chandler. She asked me how all my kids were doing. I told her that we are expecting our 13 and 14th grandchildren soon, she said, "I can't get any of my kids to even get married." As I walked out of the store and later that evening as I told Rich about my visit with her, I felt so bad for her, but disappointed with myself. At times I feel so overwhelmed with the extremely important responsibility of being a grandmother, when I should be so grateful. In my reading this morning it was all about keeping a "gratitude journal." How when we pray we need to stop asking for so many blessings and just thank our Heavenly Father for the abundance that we have. It is easy for me to limp around my house in pain, complaining about all the dishes, laundry, floors to mop, bathrooms to clean, and all the monotonous chores I need to do. Instead I need to look at how many blessings I have. In my little book the author says that the more gratitude we show the more guidance we will receive. Heaven knows I could use some guidance right now.
My sister sent me an email yesterday that had cute little stories about grandparents. One said,"My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?" I mentally polished my halo and said,"No, how are we alike?" "You're both old," he replied. This reminded me of myself, old.

No comments: