Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"


What's that saying, "no good deed goes unpunished?" I have been feeling that way for a few days. Rich's secretary asked me a few months ago if I would take her rabbit. I tried to be nice and told her if it was a female I might be able to put it in with my bunnies. Well, she checked it out and brought it over. I did the sex check and didn't see any male parts so I put it in with my rabbits. I have raised rabbits for over twenty years. I have had holland, mini, angora and fuzzy lops, plus netherland dwarfs and just about all the other breeds. When the weather is nice rabbits are fun, but in the intense heat it takes coolers or misters to keep them from dying. Plus, if they get out of the pen the dogs love to kill and eat them which sends me over the edge. Anyway, I went out on Monday night to feed and saw that my big orange flemish giant was pulling hair and taking grass down in a hole she had dug in the pen. I knew we were in trouble as she sat under the misters panting really hard. She was in labor. Yesterday morning we went out and sure enough Mindi and Trace pulled fourteen baby bunnies out of the hole. The kids are all excited but trying to find homes for all these baby bunnies in the middle of the summer will be really hard. I told Amber that her rabbit is banished to the chicken pen and I can't assure her that he won't get eaten by the dogs so I think she has decided to take him home.

No comments: