Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Purpose For Being Here

It's been one week since we had to put our last golden retriever Hannah to sleep. Len and Julie have also been gone almost a week and are driving to Washington to start their mission. I am convinced that as we age the time seems to go by faster and faster. I got a call while getting ready for church from my Mom telling me that a dear friend in the ward I grew up in Scottsdale passed away this morning while in the hospital. He has been sick for a long time so my Dad's old "death is merciful" quote applies to him.
Spencer and Annie made it down from Colorado safely and it's always fun to see them. They will be in and out for the next four weeks before returning to start the 2010 football season. Dave's sister Kathy and her four children have been staying here for the last two weeks while her kids were performing in a musical play at Mesa Community. They left this morning to go back to Wilcox. It's always hard having company staying in your house.
I don't know if it's the heat or just my inability to deal with stress but I have been feeling like I need to run away, crawl in a hole, join the Peace Corps or just plain curl up in the fetal position in my messy sewing room for a day or two. Yesterday Rich and I were up at 5:00 a.m. because sat. is the only day he has to fix things around here. When you have two acres of land, a pool, rabbits, chickens, ponds full of fish, four dogs again, (Spencer brought me his puppy to raise), and so on... we really need a full time landscaper and veterinarian on staff. Since we can't afford that, we have a "do it yourself " operation going on over here. Anyway, Rich was in and out going to the church to get it cooled down for a youth activity, then went out to Candi's to water her plants and trees while they are vacationing in cool California. He got a call from a neighbor with septic problems, asked me to make something for a wedding open house he was attending before he had to go back to the church and chaperon the activity from 7:30-11:00 p.m.
At about 6:00 p.m. I couldn't get a hold of him to see if he wanted me to drizzle chocolate over his fruit so I just went ahead and was doing that when the doorbell rang at Mindi's. It was the Halcombs wanting to know if Trent could go to a wedding reception with them. Mindi and Dave were with Tristyn at a volleyball scrimmage at Highland High so I hurried and got him ready. The only clothes I could find in his closet was a shirt that was too small and pants that were too big. So I put those on him, combed his hair and out he went. As he was getting into their car Spencer and Annie pulled up and needed to leave their two little boys with me while they went out to eat with some of her family. I was starving by then and wanted to go to Outback Steak, Applebees, Chilis, or even McDonalds but Mindi had made chili and cornbread. Since I don't like chili I ate a meatloaf Lean Cuisine yummy. It wasn't the end to a wonderful sat. night I had anticipated. I continue to struggle with the "glass being half full" instead of my usual "totally empty" outlook on life. I did survive the week and can't wait to see what next week brings. I continue to read my self help books and scriptures hoping to someday find my true purpose for being here on earth.

No comments: