Monday, October 7, 2013

"Push My Personal Handcart"

Rich got home yesterday morning after spending the weekend with his sister and her family in Utah. I know that he felt bad I didn't go with him but he likes to "speed travel," something I just physically can't do. He leaves early in the morning for the airport and spent three days flying and driving over 1700 miles. I had lots of things I wanted to get done this weekend but didn't get very much accomplished. I did make some cinnamon rolls and worked on a quilt for my sister to give to her husband. I watched eight hours of General Conference and was uplifted by the talks and music. A talk by Jeffrey R. Holland resonated with me as he talked about people who suffer from mental illness and other trials. Sometimes I feel alone in my own mind as I see others who do things I wish I could do. I felt that he really could relate and that there will be a time that the suffering will be over and we will be healed. I know my little anxiety and depression are nothing compared to some of the major mental illnesses people suffer with, but it still affects my life everyday. I'm so thankful for my family and friends who accept me as I am, and try to make things easier for me, even though I know it drives them crazy sometimes. I thought it was interesting as I listened to conference at how many talks said that life wasn't meant to be easy. That adversity and trials make us grow spiritually and become more humble and compassionate towards others. I remember hearing someone say, "at some point we will all have to push our personal handcarts up the hill." Referring to the pioneers who suffered terribly as they walked across the plains. I am thankful for my pioneer ancestors and hope to be worthy to see them on the other side.
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Teri--I loved Elder Hollands talk, and I hope and pray others who believe "its in your head" listened with their heart and maybe have a better understanding of it too. My heart is always with those who suffer, I have a long family history of it, and I too have been plagued with anxiety and depression. It is not something you bring up in a circle of people, so those of us who do suffer feel alone and ashamed sometimes, his words were perfect--I have listened to that talk about 5 times now--