Thursday, October 24, 2013

"If You Aren't Going To Help"

This morning when I went out to feed the animals there was a cool breeze blowing and the warm sun touching my skin. I felt such a strong feeling of gratitude to be up and moving after spending a day in bed and a few days getting back to normal. I talked to my daughter-in-law this week who struggled with an extremely infected ear all weekend. She said, "if you don't have your health, you don't really have anything." I have found this so true for me too. Tristyn's volleyball season is coming to an end, she only has two games left. As we have seen this little team struggle to play at their potential we heard a lot of complaints about the coach, some parents even wanting to get him fired. Mindi had finally had enough, so yesterday she went over to the house where the girls eat before the game and gave them a little pep talk. She talked about her experience with this coach, he being her very first coach when she was in 9th grade. She talked about her challenges as a high school and college athlete, then a coach and now as a mother of five kids. She told a story that Spencer told me his NFL coach shared with his players. He told them that after the devastating earthquake hit Turkey there was a young father who ran to the school where his son was when the earthquake hit. It was in ruins, so the father started digging with his bare hands hoping to find his child. All the people who saw him would tell him it was no use, the children were dead in the collapse of their school. The father kept digging and finally said, "If your aren't going to help me then move out of my way." How many times in my life have I felt that it was futile, I would never be okay again? Anyway, after 72 hours they found the whole classroom of kids alive. I think I remember hearing about this and the children had been found in an air pocket under the piles of rocks. These young kids today are so spoiled and don't really know how hard life is for some in other parts of the world. They played so well last night it looked like a different team. So, today they have asked her to come back and tell some more stories to get them pumped up for the game tonight. It isn't about winning and losing but it is all about attitude and hard work. I'm so thankful for all those around me that are such good examples of hard work and sacrifice, I wouldn't be the same without them.

No comments: