Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Does It Really Matter How You Die?"

Every week I think will get easier or less busy but life continues to be hectic and challenging. With the kids home from school for Fall Break, did we ever have a break in school? It was hard. I look at Mindi and wonder how she does it with teenagers and a two-year old, but she perseveres. On Thursday we had two birthdays, my sister Mell and grandson Trent. We decided to go to Scottsdale and pick up Mom and Dad and go for Mexican Food. My Aunt Sue and Uncle Carl are here from California, so they joined us and so did Rich, who was working in the area. During lunch we decided to take them up to the mansion on the hill to show them how the rich and famous live. Sister Greer doesn't like going up mountains and always backseat drives, so we sent her with Rich. I wasn't in the car but as they were heading up the driveway she said, "Oh Hell!" Yes, Sister Greer said a bad word. Anyway, as we toured this 23,000 square foot home it was overwhelming. I saw it when it was first being renovated but haven't been back to see all the furnishings, which had a million dollar budget. As we were walking from room to room with the three kitchens, ten bathrooms and who knows how many bedrooms, I lost track, I wondered what it would be like to have to clean and take care of that monster. My parents talked about how grateful they were for their small humble little home they have lived in for over fifty years. I too am happy with my modest home that we work constantly to improve. After celebrating with the older generation I went out to Basha High School to watch Tristyn play volleyball. What a good game. We ended up losing in five games, but the girls played better than I had ever seen them, so it was hard to complain. It's funny as you get older how some things just aren't that important anymore, I'm still competitive, but some things just aren't worth getting stressed out over. When you get kicked in the head a few times you realize what is really important, how you treat others. Anyway, I don't see an end to the things I need to get done. Pomegranate season is here so we are trying to decide when to harvest and juice them. I am also thinking about flying to Florida to watch Spencer play football. This is something I'm extremely afraid to do, but as I was telling my Aunt Sue about my fear she said, "Teri, does it really matter how you die? If it's your time you can't do anything about it anyway. You are missing out on so many things in your life because of your fear." There was something in that statement that made me realize that my life is limited because of my lack of faith, so today, right now I am considering getting in an airplane and flying clear across the country. Am I crazy? I think so.
 
 




No comments: