Friday, April 16, 2010

Has It Really Been 34 Years?


Talk about a corny picture. Today is our 34th wedding anniversary. I can't believe it has been that long. Most everyone knows that Rich and I met while he was my brother Len's missionary trainer in Ontario Canada. He had a girlfriend in Utah and I had a boyfriend when I left for BYU in 1973. After my grandmother passed away I came home for her funeral and I just wasn't feeling it with my guy. Rich's girlfriend had decided that she couldn't wait two years and Dear Johned him around the same time. Anyway, the rest is history as we started writing while he was on his mission and I was recuperating at home from a broken knee. I will not say that we have had a blissful trial free marriage as we both have extremely strong opinions and expect things to go our way. It has been a battle but because we have both kept the covenants we made in the Temple on April 16, 1976 we are still together. When we were first married we would go out with friends that we thought were really happy. They are all divorced now and we have been able to keep it together despite our differences. I admire couples who I see who say they have never had an argument or an unkind word spoken between them, but that isn't the Greer way, at least this Greer. Anyway, enough about that. I am so proud of Rich. He is one of the strongest people I know. Two weeks ago he decided to work out at the gym he just built. He would get up at 4:00 a.m. and get home by 6:30, shower go to work for ten to twelve hours, and he committed to do that for ten weeks. Ethan and I both bet $20 he wouldn't last a couple of days, but he will finish his second week tomorrow. If he decides to do something by dang he will get it done. As I have written about before, our master bathroom flooded while we were up at girl's camp last June. We have been sleeping in the spare bedroom at the end of the hall and next to his office. We also have to use the bathroom that runs off of Mindi's house which means we sometimes run out of hot water. I'm not complaining, (yes I am) but darn it, I'm married to probably one of the best contractors in the state and we are still at the end of the hall. He promised me that he would have me in today so I'm holding my breath until it happens. We have been really blessed in the 34 years with a great posterity. With four children and soon to be fifteen grandchildren we know the huge responsibility that comes with each and every person in our family. We miss Kamber every single day and hope to be worthy to see her on the other side. I look at my parents who will have their 60th wedding anniversary in November and I know their life hasn't always been butterflies and rainbows. My Dad does kid around when he says, "60 years with the wrong woman." I think that is what Rich is thinking today, "how have I spent 34 years with the wrong woman?" I know he loves me because he has put up with me for all this time. I hope he knows how much I love and appreciate all he does for me. Happy Anniversay!


3 comments:

Heidi said...

OH MY GOSH ~ I LOVE these two pictures! Can I just say .....WOW! I too think Sam thinks every anniversary "with the wrong women". Marriage ~ not an easy thing that is for sure! He and I both agree it could be easier with someone else but darn it what do you do about it now ~ just keep on plugging away and ask the Lord for His help! Hope you sleep in your own bedroom tonight ~ keeping my fingers crossed :0)

Heidi said...

Ok ~ it should have been woman NOT women!

Judy (mom) said...

Who the heck are those "spring chickens"....Happy Anniversary! I love reading your blog....sometimes I am laughing so hard and I love who you are!!!