Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First Responders


Mindi had to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. so I get to take care of the four Moser children and try and get them off to school without any crying or drama. Since Monday it has given me time to reflect on this little "bump in the road," that Rich calls adversities, and come to grips with the emotional part of the loss of a pregnancy. As I have mentioned, I was the same age and just about as far along in my pregnancy as Mindi is when I miscarried. I remember driving myself out to Desert Samaritan to have my ultrasound. Where was my husband and Mom or anyone? I still look back at my experience and how totally clueless I was. Anyway, that was 24 years ago and I have survived and had a pretty full life watching my four children struggle through their teen years, get married and now raise their own children. Rich and I are thankful for every grandchild we have and know how fragile life is and how fast they can be taken from us. We don't take any of their lives for granted, especially now.
After we got the sad news on Monday we still had some errands to run. One of those errands was to mail the quilt I had made for the young man who passed away in Feb. in a tragic accident. I wanted to get it to the parents by Tues. the 27th because that is his birthday. I went into the post office with this quilt while Mindi waited in the car talking on the phone being consoled by her family and friends. Anyway, the biggest box they had wasn't that big but the guy folded my quilt up and smashed it into the box and taped it shut. As I left I thought of how it was going to look when they opened the box and that quilt pops out. I had visions of it looking like one of those fabric snakes that spring out of the box and scare you when opened. I hope it made it there and it wasn't too wrinkled, it's the thought that counts. I hope they understand the meaning behind all the work.
I remember after Kamber passed away Jenn told me about what her Bishop told her would help her get through the pain of losing her precious girl. He said, "Serve others." As a family we have tried to be more aware of the suffering of others and step in when we can. I remember my brother Len when he dedicated her grave talked about the "first responders," those who show up first to try and help. He then encouraged us all to try and be first responders for others who are going through trials. I will never forget those words of wisdom. Mindi will get through this and will become a better person because of it. So many of her friends have brought by flowers and food, also they have taken Troy to play and to school, I know they really appreciate the outpouring of love they have felt.Thanks to everyone for your kindness. We all need to try more to be the first ones to step in and help. I know I'm talking to myself here too. I know Heavenly Father loves his children and answers prayers. I know we can receive inspiration that helps us in our everyday lives do the right thing. Now say a prayer that I can get these four kids dressed, hair combed, breakfast fed and off to school and live to tell about it!

No comments: