Monday, April 12, 2010

Enjoy Life Now, It Has An Expiration Date

My sister sent me a cute little story about a guy who grew up in a family where his father and mother never owned a car. I guess he hit a horse when he was twenty five. So after that they walked everywhere they went until his brother turned 16 and they bought a car. When his mother was 45 she decided it was time for her to learn how to drive, in the cemetery, so after that she drove and the husband navigated. They told the boys that they did really well because they never made left turns. They had read that most accidents older driver have are while making left turns. Three right turns are the same as a left. As I was reading this little story it reminded me of my mother. When we were learning how to drive she wouldn't let us make left turns either. I grew up in Scottsdale between McDowell and Thomas and Miller and Scottsdale Rd. My Mom would stand out in front and watch us back out and make a right turn on Miller and then we went to Scottsdale Rd. and so forth... When we go to visit she still stands outside and watches us drive up Holly St. and turn right on Miller waving until we are out of sight. I have often talked about the break down I had in 1986 after I suffered a miscarriage. When I would drive, for some reason it brought on lots of symptoms, dizziness, a spinning sensation, sweaty hands and panic attacks. I fought these feelings for a few years, and even had an operation on my ear where they cut my ear off and drilled a hole behind my ear into my skull to see if there was something causing my symptoms. Of course they found nothing. When Mindi turned 15 1/2 I was teaching her how to drive and it became clear that I was better suited for a passenger than the driver. It was probably a huge mistake not to fight through the symptoms and to give up, but it just became too painful for me to fight the fear. I know it bothers a few people in my family that I don't drive and they blame Mindi for enabling me by driving me where I need to go. Unless you have been there, you really don't have the right to judge. At the end of this little story he talks about how his Dad lived to be over 100 and the Mother well into her 90's. He talked about how he missed them and was so happy they had lived as long as they did. He left a little quote, it says:

Life is too short to wake up with regrets
So love the people who treat you right
Forget about the one's who don't
Believe everything happens for a reason
If you get a chance, take it and if it
changes your life, let it..
Nobody said life would be easy,
they just Promised it would most likely be worth it."

ENJOY LIFE NOW, IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

I love that quote so true. Thanks for sharing.