Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roosters Gone, Pomegranates Juiced

This has been a crazy busy week that I'm glad is over. It all started on Monday when I got a call from an elderly man who wanted to come get my roosters. We have been trying to get rid of them for a while and about to lose hope, when he got my name from a note we left at the feed store. He came out and we filled two cages and a small box with chickens for him to take out to his 10 acres Chandler. I made him promise me and practically do a "pinky swear" that he wouldn't kill them and off he went. I was so relieved but at 4:00 a.m. the next morning, I have to admit, I kind of missed all the crowing. I think I'm over it now and hope we won't be back in the same boat when our thirty babies grow up. The rest of the week we spent picking, washing and juicing pomegranates. We usually don't do it until the first week in Nov. but because Trent's baptism is next Sat. we thought we would get an early start. I helped my sister pick some trees they found in downtown Mesa on Wed. and then had the boys help pick my eight trees out back. On Thurs. Mindi and I went to Lehi to pick my friends two trees and then two trees in our neighborhood. We were so dirty and tired I though I was going to expire. Yesterday the family came in shifts and we got all the fruit juiced and bottled, finishing at 5:30 p.m. This has become a tradition in our family that my dear Aunt Tenna started way back when. I think about her every year as we take on this project. As we were picking I had this feeling of admiration for her and a sense of fulfillment in the "law of the harvest" kind of way. As we were sitting around the table with four juicers going, I realized why my Dad loves to plant a big corn field and vegetable garden every summer in the White Mountains. There is a sense of accomplishment when we do hard things that others wouldn't think of doing. Anyway, I'm glad that's over, now I will spend this week making jelly and getting ready for Trent's luncheon after he gets baptized next week. I'm going crazy but wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: