Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Three Hours of Sewing Hair Accessories

Yesterday morning when my friend came over to exercise in the pool we had a nice visit. As she left she reminded me that she would be picking me up at 5:30 to go to the church for our Humanitarian Enrichment Activity. I told her I didn't think I was going because it didn't sound fun to me, I haven't really been in the mood to do anything lately. She then said, "Are you kidding me? You are on the committee and we haven't done anything to help with this activity. I'll be by and we'll go to the church and help them." So last night I took my sewing machine and off we went to the church to make headbands to donate to the children's hospital for kids to wear while going through treatment for cancer. I parked my body in a chair and sewed for three hours. As I looked around and saw all those women donating their time and talents, I was glad I went. We have a little girl in our ward who is battling leukemia so these headbands, turbans and flowers are being donated to the hospital in her name. She was there last night making sure we had something to drink as we worked and talked. There is something about being around the "noble and great ones" that make you a better person. When I finally got home and in bed I was so tired and had a headache but was happy I had gone and hopefully made a difference. When my Mom called to get my well check report, I told her about my experience sewing for three hours. She said, "You are a darling, (her favorite name for me) and remember when you do service for the Lord the Savior looks down and is so happy." It's hard sometimes for me to make the right choices and do what will make the Savior happy, but last night I did and hopefully those kids fighting cancer will know how much we care about them and enjoy the hair accessories.

No comments: