Tuesday, May 14, 2013

What Kind of Feathers?

I had a really nice day on Sunday with all my children doing something nice for me and making me feel special. It's nice to be remembered and appreciated. Yesterday morning when I woke up the thought came into my mind that we need to print T shirts that say, "I survived Mother's Day." Or one like the one Spencer sent me that said "Boston Strong" but maybe it could say "Mother Strong." On Sunday I sat by a darling girl in my ward that I am embarrassed to say I didn't embrace when she moved in. With my anxieties sometimes I'm socially awkward and being married to "Mr. Congeniality" makes it hard. Anyway, as we sat and talked we had similar life experiences. The loss of a baby and fears of driving and on and on. It makes me feel bad that maybe I'm unapproachable. I really try and be a nice person but maybe I'm not as "warm and fuzzy" as I should be. When I was reading my little book yesterday, "Enjoy Life's Journey, Choosing Happiness Along the Way," it's so not me, she told a story about a little girl who came running up to her mother with a soft blue feather in her hand. She asked, "What bird dropped this feather?" Her mother said, "I don't know the exact bird, but I can tell you the kind of bird it was. It was a bluebird." Then she goes on to say that "everywhere we go in life, we leave a feather. People may not know exactly who we are, but they always know the kind of person we are. Feelings are often more important than facts and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If you would be beautiful within, be very careful of the critical and the unkind word." It made me think about all the feathers I have dropped along the way. What do they say about me? I want to drop beautiful, kind feathers so when I'm gone from this earth people will know what kind of person I was.

No comments: