Monday, May 6, 2013

"I Just Feel So Good"

A couple of months ago Rich was standing in our bedroom getting ready for work when he said, "I just can't believe how good I feel. For my age  and how hard I work, I just feel so good." I told him then he needed to find a big piece of wood and knock really hard on it. My experience has been that  whenever you think you have your life figured out and things are going good, it seems like it's then you get kicked in the head. Rich struggled all week from Tuesday until Saturday night when  he went to the hospital. I had urged him to go all week but he always says, "it takes time and money and I don't have either." So when Rich went to the hospital, I went to bed thinking he would call me and let me know what the verdict was. I knew they would be running some tests and he waited until the middle of the night to finally realize things weren't right. When I finally didn't hear from him and called to see what was going on, he informed me that he had a 7 millimeter kidney stone blocking his kidney and he was in renal failure with his kidneys working only 50%. WHAT? Anyway, I called Ethan and he came and got me and we spent the day in the hospital with him. They did surgery in the morning and he finally got something to eat and some pain medications and was resting comfortably  when we left at around 4:30 p.m..  We went back later to give him some clean clothes and take his truck home because he won't be driving for at least 24 hours after surgery. I have been alone a lot in our marriage because of Rich's job and church assignments. Last night as I went to bed for the second night alone it dawned on me what really alone feels like. Having a sick husband isn't fun but I'm so thankful for good doctors and a hospital with kind caring nurses. Things will get back to normal soon and some day Rich will be telling "I feel so good" again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh poor Rich, that makes me sad--Eric had kidney stones twice and I swear he wouldn't go to the hospital for the same reasons as Rich--I ended up taking him when he fainted on our bedroom floor from the pain--I have never had them but I've heard they are terrible--I love him and hate to hear he is feeling bad, we will be praying for both of you--xoxo