Saturday, May 4, 2013

An Adventure or Nightmare?

I woke up at 3:15 a.m. this morning. I was so tired from our little road trip but couldn't sleep. Yesterday I spent ten hours in a car taking my parents up to their summer home to turn on the water, the hot water heater and give my Aunt Nadine her birthday present. Rich has been fighting kidney stones all week but felt fine when we left. We ate breakfast in Payson and then headed up the mountain towards Springerville. Just outside of Show Low the pain started back in and Rich was barely able to make it to the cabin. He got out of the truck went straight to the water source then started pacing around the property. Here we are three hundred miles away from home with a sick husband, a chemo patient, a mentally ill almost sixty year-old and a nervous mother wondering how we are going to get home. After Rich paced for about an hour outside, he came in and tried to sleep on the bed. He couldn't get comfortable so he tried a hot bath. The water heater wasn't working that well so Mom and I started boiling water to keep him comfortable in the tub. By now it was around four in the afternoon and we still hadn't had any lunch. Mindi called to make sure we had made it up there okay and when I told her what was going on, she stepped in and started calling the family and our friend who is a doctor. We finally decided to just try and get as far as we could and then Ethan and Dave would come to the rescue. Rich started driving and made it to Show Low, he was really suffering and making us really scared. We got gas and I told Dad to get in and drive. He said he felt well enough so on we went heading home. The sun was terrible as it was shining in our eyes and as we got to the rim Rich told Dad to pull over. He walked away from the truck, got down on all fours and started to yak. I really did think he was going to die. A really nice police officer pulled up next to the truck and asked us if everything was okay. I said, "well, my husband is really sick passing a kidney stone and we are waiting for him."  He said, "okay, have a nice evening." Yeah, we were going to have a great evening. I don't know how we did it but Dad was so calm and did such a great job driving. He has probably driven that road hundreds of times and I was so proud of him. He was my hero on this trip. We pulled in to Payson and Dave and Ethan were there, I was so glad to see them. Dave got in our truck and drove Mom, Dad and me home while Ethan took Rich to the hospital. After waiting there for awhile seeing there were at least fifteen people ahead of him they just came home. As I told Rich how scary that was and I wouldn't be traveling with him any time soon. He said, "oh come on that was an adventure." If that is what Rich thinks is fun I'm for sure not going on another trip with him ever again.




No comments: