Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Working on Charity and Courage





My life keeps rolling along. We had a good weekend with Trent's baptism and church. We now have five of our sixteen grandchildren who have been baptized. They are so special to us. All the kids and grand kids were there except Spencer and Annie in Colorado. Spencer played in Oakland on Sunday and the Broncos won, so that was fun. We have to tape the game and watch it after church. The game is usually over before we get through the first half, so we try not to find out the score until we see it for ourselves. This week during the third quarter we got a call from Annie saying Spencer got injured, but not seriously. He had an MRI on Monday and called to say there's nothing majorly wrong, so our prayers have been answered again. He should be able to practice and play this next game. My thoughts this week have been with my cousin's daughter who is 28 years old and fighting breast cancer. She got an infection from the surgery and was hospitalized last week with a high fever. She had surgery again on Mon. to remove the infection. The question I've asked a million times since Kamber passed away, WHY? We knew when we came here it was going to be hard and we would be asked to do things that were very unpleasant, but a young mother having to go through such a horrible illness shakes my soul. I hope that in the eternities we will be able to see how much our trials helped us become more like the Savior, but now it just makes me so sad to think of all the suffering that's going on in the world. I've been reading a Biography of President Monson's life, "To The Rescue." He is such an example of charity, Something I read yesterday really hit home with me. He said "Perhaps when we face our Maker, we will not be asked, 'How many positions did you hold,' but rather, 'How many people did you help?' One can never love the Lord until he serves Him by serving His people." Maybe this is the answer to my question "why" we need to have these trials, so that we can serve others and be served and hopefully some day have the pure love of Christ which is charity. I know I am a long way out there and charity doesn't come that naturally to me sometimes but I'm working on it. Tomorrow I go see the surgeon to see what he can do to help me. I don't know what I want to hear either way the news isn't going to be good. I had Rich and my Dad give me a blessing on Sat. while we were together, all I can remember is him giving me courage to do what it will take to be healed and out of pain. Hopefully that blessing will help me in the decisions I will have to make in the future, courage isn't one of the gifts I was born with, but something to work on in the future.

No comments: