Saturday, July 3, 2010

SWEET LIBERTY


I've been trying to stay busy all morning doing laundry and working on a couple of baby quilts. I have tried to keep from having a pity party but nothing is helping. It seems like when I was a kid and especially as a teenager the 4th of July was really a lot of fun. I remember going to Eagar and watching the parade, rodeo, driving up to Flat Top and eating watermelon under my Grandparents big weeping willow tree. I didn't have a care in the world. In the evening we would go to the country dances. I was from the city so I didn't have a clue how to two step, line dance or do any of those fancy turns the locals were doing. I didn't have any cowboy boots so my Grandma Slade bought me some moccasins. I'm sure I looked as out of place as I felt. When I got married we would spend the 4th in Richfield, Utah with Rich's family.

There is nothing prettier than those small Mormon towns in Southern Utah. They had a parade and then a super fun activity at the park. It was the first time I sat so close to fireworks that I had to cover my ears and keep my babies from crying. They would shoot them off at the Lion's Park and I couldn't believe how loud they were. I was so shocked to see all the little kids setting off firecrackers and sparklers because in Arizona, and especially with my overprotective parents we were not allowed to play with any kind of pyrotechnics.

Candi called last night and told me their itinerary for the weekend, parade, beach, swap meet, fireworks off the pier, and so on........ Spencer and Annie are up at a family reunion at the Pugmire family cabin in Overguard. I'm sure with all the family they have it will be a wonderful time for them. Every year I say I'm not going to stay home in the sweltering heat and watch the fireworks on t.v., but here again it's 2010 and I will not only be home, but going to church and fixing dinner this 4th of July. As I sat feeling sorry for myself I looked at this sign Mindi made. It says Sweet Liberty. I then started to feel ashamed at how I'm missing the whole purpose for this celebration. I am so blessed to live in this great country, to have wonderful parents who loved me and raised me with the gospel and a love for this country. I had two uncles who served in the military. One was killed in an air force training accident when their plane hit a mountain killing all on the aircraft. My other uncle was a navigator of B 52 bombers who flew over and bombed Vietnam during that war. My ancestors immigrated from England, Germany and Denmark in hopes of having a better life. The sacrifice they made to come to America makes me feel guilty that I have it so easy. I need an attitude adjustment and just be grateful for all the blessings I have by having a home and family. I may not be at the beach, or up in the cool pines, but at least I will have the freedom to worship how I want and be with those I love. Happy 4th to everyone.

1 comment:

Judy (mom) said...

I too am so grateful for the freedoms that we have here in this great country and I agree that the 4th of July was much more fun as a little kid. Now we are in a different stage of life and things aren't quite the same. Never the less, I too have a special feeling of gratitude in my heart for all of those that made and continue to make sacfifices to make this possible for all of us.