Sunday, March 21, 2010

Praying for pain relief

This has been a really hard week for me. I somehow hurt my back last Saturday and I've spent all week at the chiropractor, on a heating pad or lying on ice. Sometimes I think it's getting better and I will do too much and then the next day I'm down again. Last night I was up from 2:00 - 5 a.m. in such pain all I could do was pray. I guess I need to be desperate before I plead for some help. I have been thinking all week about an incident that happened last year. As I have talked about a lot Kamber passed away in July of 2008. On Feb. 10, 2009 she should have turned 3 years old. I remember how sad I was. I had been crying almost all morning. We were going to have a birthday party starting at the cemetery for a darling little girl who had gone HOME and I was trying to pull myself together. Anyway, I walked out to get the mail and we had a note from some dear friends in our ward. In it was a sweet note and a quote by Elder Wirthlin. It said, "The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude." The note inside said, "We hope you will get some comfort from this." I can not tell you how many times that quote has gone through my head. As we got the news that both Jenn and Annie are pregnant with two more grandchildren I thought, maybe this is one of those "compensations for our loss." Maybe it isn't but I think when you go through a life changing trial it does change who you are and how you think about things. I realize that no one is exempt from trials and sadness while in this mortal life, and I am desperately trying to look at the eternal aspect of life instead of this short mortal experience. I think the key word in that quote is "faithful". I hope as a family we are working harder every day to be more faithful in living the gospel and keeping the commandments so we can be given those hundredfold blessings that have been promised to all who have suffered loss.

No comments: