Saturday, March 13, 2010

My chicken gave up





I have had a few people ask me how my chicken is doing. Well she died this morning. I have been trying to nurse her back to health for two weeks now. I think she got pneumonia from all the rain and cold. I thought she was doing better and when I went to bed last night I told Rich I thought she was going to make it. His comment was, "I think you are the chicken whisperer." He's a funny guy, I keep telling him he needs to go to the Improv Comedy Club. Anyway, I did everything I could to help her breath better and start eating and drinking. I gave her antibiotics and put essential oils on her feet and under her wings. When I got up at 5 a.m. to get a drink I could hear her gasping for breath, by 8:30 she was gone. It is almost a relief because I was tired of seeing her suffer. I remember when my Grandma Slade passed away at 89 years old, I was upset and crying and my Dad said, "Teri, you need to realize that death is merciful." I have never forgotten that. In some cases when there isn't anything that will be able to help, it is merciful to pass on. I sure don't want my life to be prolonged if I get so incredibly sick that I am a burden to my family. I went out this morning and dug a hole in the chicken pen and then took her out and buried her with her friends. I know she is only a chicken, but I feel like every living thing is important to our Heavenly Father.


1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

Sorry to hear about your chicken. YOu are right It is better for the chicken not to suffer anymore. You are such a sweet heart.