Friday, March 5, 2010

I Think I May Be a Hoader

I have known for a long time that I have some serious issues. It's weird how as you age the problems you have when you are young seem to just get worse when you get older. I had a perfect older sister and two almost perfect younger brothers. One was the "golden child," and the other was the baby. I couldn't win with being the "second child" the notorious "pain in the butt child." I think it was a set up. Anyway, Mindi and I were at JoAnn's our "home away from home" and I ran into a friend of mine I haven't seen since high school. Of course I had just showered and thrown clothes on, we call it "going under cover," she looked very put together. As we stood and visited about our lives since high school, she reminded me about how fun I was to be around. I kept everyone off guard and was reminded how my Seminary teacher Bro. Ellsworth threw me out because I was misbehaving. I used to run into Pres. Ellsworth when He was in the Temple Presidency and I would remind him how he kicked me out one morning. I will never forget how he asked me to "Please Forgive Him." He passed away last year from cancer. I was a brat I admit, but times have changed and now I'm just a "cratchety old woman." That's Rich's favorite term of endearment for me. As I have talked about before I love to make quilts. Since Kamber passed away it has almost become an obsession. Right now I have about five quilts I'm working on that are in all different stages of getting finished. I received an anonymous letter in the mail this week from someone who wants me to make a quilt for someone who passed away in February. I have bought some fabric but need to put some more thought in to that one. Although I love it, I also can get stressed out about it. I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder what project I should concentrate on. Maybe I have ADD or something because it seems like it's hard to concentrate on just one project, finish it and then go on to the next. I have a spare bedroom that I have taken over as my sewing room and what Rich calls my "stack all room." It is a mess I admit, but I have decided that maybe I'm just a hoarder. I was reading an article in a magazine that if we gave 50% of our stuff away we would still have WAY to much. So I have decided to get rid of all my clothes I haven't worn for awhile, and anything else that is cluttering up my life. I could also get rid of some of my bad habits and maybe a few toxic relationships. I hope Oprah doesn't call to see all my stuff, that would really be embarrassing!

3 comments:

Jared*Shawna*Skye*Bree said...

You're not a hoarder if you can still see carpet!! At least that is the story I am going with when it comes to my "office". I don't even have sewing stuff in it. Just stuff. If I don't know what to do with something-----it goes in the "office". I agree with you. We all have too much stuff. Think I will take a page from your book and get rid of some of my stuff. I usually don't know where to start and end up just shutting the door and walking away. What I can't see, doesn't bother me. {sigh}

Debbie said...

That was me---by the way. I didn't want to sign out and lose all that I typed. I hate it that when you have to sign in with a different account that everything you just typed goes away. Dumb.

The McNeil Family said...

I wish I could get rid of the stuff I don't use. It is so hard. I think that room looks well lived in and well productive.