Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Answer To Prayers

Spencer at his birthday party showing off his nasty bruise.

As I have talked about before when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's we either did school, church or sports. My sister and I were decent athletes and so were my brothers. I played fast pitch softball and volleyball, then went on to play softball and volleyball in high school and college. I loved to play sports therefore I went into P.E. as my major and graduated from ASU right after I had Mindi in 1977. My kids have all done really well in sports with three of them getting scholarships to college to play either football or volleyball. They still all love to exercise, work out, or play in church or city league. I just can not get into the work out stuff. I could play a game all day long, but walking on a treadmill or lifting weights just isn't fun for me, and it shows! Anyway, two weeks ago while Spencer was working out with his trainers they had him lifting 474 pounds on the bench press. Now I know NOTHING about weight lifting, I'm lucky to be able to do 3 pounds when I'm doing my arms, so to me over 400 pounds seems like a huge amount for a person to lift. As he would tell me later as he lifted the bar it sounded like his shirt had ripped open. He then knew something wasn't right and his arm began to bruise and swell. To say that Annie and I were upset is an understatement. We both bore our testimony on how this is the off-season and they don't expect you to kill yourself two weeks before you report to the Broncos. Spencer came over and Rich and Dave gave him a blessing and I called my parents to have his name put on the prayer roll in the Temple. We prayed for him every day and even called a few doctor friends to see if we should get him in to get a MRI. We have asked family and friends to pray for him and hoped for the best. Anyway, when he reported to his team in Denver they had physicals. He told them about his little accident lifting weights and they said they weren't mad, (it's not like he was out snowboarding or something stupid like that), but they did want to get him into the doctor and get a MRI. He called yesterday and said that the test came back negative, that the muscle is just swollen and he should be okay within a couple of weeks. I feel like our prayers have been answered and the injury could have been way worse. Now I know why I don't exercise, I'm just keeping myself safe from getting hurt. ha ha

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

That is great new! Matt had told me about Spencer's arm. I went to the temple this evening and and saw your mom there. It is great to have prayers answered.