Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sharing our Time and Talents


It is interesting how every experience I have teaches me a lesson. We have an amazing group of sisters in our ward. A few of us got together today to learn how to make green corn tamales from an expert. There were seven of us who started working on them at 9:00 a.m. and we didn't finish until almost 2:00 p.m. I have always enjoyed receiving these tamales from Kelly every Christmas but I have never attempted to make them myself. I can do things when told but have a hard time just reading and following directions. Anyway, I had NO idea how much work these delicious little morsels are. In my life I have had parents who were so good about providing me with a nice home and good food and a safe environment to grow up in. When I married Rich he took over those responsibilities and he has worked really hard to provide our family with a nice home and good food and the necessities of life. I guess what I am trying to say is that until you do the work, you really don't realize the sacrifice it takes. At times I have been so ungrateful for all that the Lord has blessed me with. I think I sometimes have a "sense of entitlement" that it is owed to me to have those things provided for me. We all have the responsibility to share our time and talents with others and it was so fun to get together with these wonderful women who pitched in and did everything asked of them. We are all born with different talents that we need to share with others. I marvel at the musical talent of some of my friends and family. When I see others do things that are so hard for me to do I am so amazed. Sometimes I feel like I'm too old to find a new hobby or start a new project but after today I have a new perspective of sharing what knowledge we do have with others. I appreciate all those who have taught me so many things during my life, it has truly made me a better person.

No comments: