Monday, April 2, 2012

"Seek The Abundant Life"

After watching eight hours of conference and finishing President Monson's Biogragraphy, I'm still trying to process all the information taken in. I don't think there was one talk that I didn't get something from. Sometimes when I get overwhelmed with stuff to do, and worry about things that aren't really important, I want to be able to remember the advice given by our Prophet and the other Brethren. When I have unkind thoughts about others, or when I want to lash out at those around me, I want to remember Pres. Uchtdorf's advice to just "STOP IT!" Mindi, Dave and the kids got home late last night from California, wow, Mindi has some catching up to do. She is super efficient but looks really tired but keeps pushing along. Rich's sister and niece are coming tomorrow with her kids to visit, so we are busy trying to clean and hopefully get to the grocery store. I also have three birthdays and Easter to shop for, so this is going to be a busy week for us. We are hoping to take the Utah family to the Easter Pageant, it is always good for a sweet spirit of peace and hope. Today as I finished the last chapter of Monson's book it talked about how he "counsels those just starting out in their families and careers to seek "the abundant life." I wondered what the abundant life is. He says, "To measure the goodness of life by its delights and pleasures and safety is to apply a false standard. The abundant life does not consist of a glut of luxury. It does not make itself content with commercially produced pleasure, the nightclub idea of what is a good time, mistaking it for joy and happiness." He measures the abundant life by the capacity "to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility." I have been told many times that I see the glass half full, that I'm Debbie Downer and that my lack of forgiveness and gratitude keep me in a state of sorrow and confusion. To all of them I say "look at yourselves" and hopefully I can start to have the "abundant life" talked about in this book.

No comments: