Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Salvation of Little Children


My Mom called me this morning and said "I want to read you something from the scriptures." She then went on to read me some verses from the "Doctrine and Covenants." I guess a Mom knows when her children are struggling and I appreciate her kindness. When we hung up I went in the office and pulled out my book "Teaching of the Presidents Joseph F. Smith." There I found the answers to most of my questions about what happens when young children die. He was the sixth President of the church from 1901-1918. He was the son of Hyrum Smith who was killed with the Prophet Joseph Smith in Carthage Jail. He buried nine little children between 1869 and 1898. I cannot believe anyone could survive the deaths of nine children. I loved some of the quotes he says: "The spirits of our children are immortal before they come to us and their spirits, after bodily death, are like they were before they came. They are as they would have appeared if they had lived in the flesh, to grow to maturity, or to develop their physical bodies to the full stature of their spirits." He then goes on to say that "If you see one of your children that has passed away it may appear to you in the form in which you would recognize it, the form of childhood; but if it came to you as a messenger bearing some important truth, it would perhaps come as a full grown person." I have often thought that even if I could I wouldn't want to bring Kamber back. She is in a good place. I know she is happy and away from the evils of this world. That doesn't mean that I don't mourn her loss everyday and miss the heck out of her. I know that Ethan and Jenn will be able to raise her and that we will be with her again. President Smith says, "The Lord truly knows best and we know that the innocents who have been recalled from earth, so soon after their coming untainted by the sordid elements of the fallen world return to HIM from whom they came, pure and holy, redeemed from the foundation, by the sacrifice of one who said "of such is the kingdom of heaven." I hope we will be worthy to join Kamber someday.

No comments: