Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Quilting for the Love of Kamber


Last night we went to Ethan and Jenn's to celebrate Kylie's birthday. She turns seven today and it is always fun to get everyone together and laugh and EAT. Notice that the Larsen's love to eat. Anyway, Jenn's Mom Madeline was there and we started talking about how we are coping with the death of our very active and darling granddaughter Kamber. She was saying that she was moving on but there isn't a day that goes by without thinking about her and wondering what she would look like and what she would be doing. I basically feel the same way and then we started talking about some of our last memories of her. Madeline reminded me of when we attended the blessing of Brookie and how Kamber wouldn't be reverent, then I told her about one of my last memories. I remember that I had made her a new quilt, her baby one was getting a little nasty looking. Jenn was trying to put her in her car seat so she took the new blanket and moved it so she could buckle her in. Well, Kamber didn't quite appreciate her taking her "blankey" away. People that know me well know that I love to quilt. I'm not a master quilter, but I love to piece fabric together and see what I get when it's finished. I started quilting when I was pregnant with Mindi and getting fat and bored with Rich working all day and me being alone most of the time. I have made so many blankets I couldn't even guess how many. I have been quilting lately and have made about four in the last couple of weeks. Every time I work on one I think about Kamber and her love of quilts. Of all my grandchildren, I think she loved them the most. I have been told I should make them and sell them. My quilts are a labor of love for those I give them to and I could never make a profit on them because people wouldn't pay enough to make it worth selling them. I just do it for the love of it and the love I feel for those I give them to.

6 comments:

Lis said...

I think that quilting is a kind of therapy for some of us. I still have the quilt you made for our wedding. And love it.

Flip flop Queen! said...

She sure did love her enkie's. I have all the ones you made her floded up in her closet. Some day I would love to have a comfy over stuffed chair that I could lay her blankets over to show and to have a place of comfort to go and think of her with her blanket wrapped around me, daddy or sisters. Her blankets are the first thing we go to when we are sad and need to feel her. I have to say that Ethan and I slept with her blankets for a long time after she died because we could smell her in them.

So thank you for all you time and love you put into your quilts. They are something we will cherish FOREVER!:)

Kasey said...

I have a quilt you made for me when I got married. We use it a lot! I also have one you made for Todd. Homemade items are my favorite gifts. Thank you for my 2 labors of love.

The McNeil Family said...

You are wonderful quilt maker. Brynlee loves the one u made for her,she sleeps with it ever night. It is hard for me to wash it.thank you for the love and time u put into making such special quilts. U r amazing!!!

Fenwick Family said...

My mom said you might come up for conference, I found a fabric store I am totally in love with. They have the best fabric, sooo cute. I hope you can make it. We will go shopping!

larsen family said...

Mommy I love my blankie too.

Your retarded son.

Ethan!