Thursday, September 10, 2009

"Noble and Great One"

I went to a funeral this morning of one of the "noble and great ones." He was a convert to the church but was a Bishop, Stake President, Mission President, Area President, in the Temple Presidency and Patriarch. As we went into the church we saw so many friends from our ward in Scottsdale. We had so much fun visiting with people I haven't seen in years. As I was sitting with a friend of mine who works at the Temple, she turned to me and said, "don't you think this is how it's going to be on the other side?" Everyone is so happy to see each other." It was weird because it wasn't sad for me. I didn't see anyone with tissue or anyone very emotional. I have been thinking about that all day. Why wasn't it sad? As the day has gone on I have become a little despondent. I almost feel jealous of this man that his mission on this earth is over. He has returned home after living his life the best he could. Serving in all the callings that he was asked to and doing them well. I started thinking about what my funeral would be like. What would people say about me? She was a visiting teacher and primary worker. She was a mother and grandmother. She loved her family and animals. Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter what callings we have. It doesn't matter what our job was or how much money and earthly possessions we accumulated. I guess all that matters is that we "stayed in the gospel game" no matter how hard it got. No matter what our trials were. We continued to be faithful and do all we could to try and be like the Savior. I know that President Lyons still lives. I know he will be united with his family some day. I know he blessed my life by being my Bishop. He was a good example to all who crossed his path and by knowing him it made me a better person.

No comments: