Friday, January 29, 2010

Remembering Kamber

I cannot believe that I let Mindi put that AWFUL picture of me on my blog yesterday. I didn't think I really look that bad in the morning and with those hideous glasses on and my nappy hair pulled back... Anyway, now that I am totally embarrassed I can write what is in my heart today. I have been working on this quilt for my Dad and today is his birthday. We haven't always had the best of relationship because we have a lot of the same bad character flaws. We are stubborn, opinionated, and we even cuss a little, (just a few naughty words), nothing that horrible. Anyway, when I received all the quilt squares back I was lacking a few to make four rows on my quilt. I called Jenn and asked if she could get in touch with the guy who did our shirts honoring Kamber at Thanksgiving. He was so kind and as we drove out and gave him the material to screen print her darling little face on my quilt squares, I couldn't help but wonder how she was doing. As I assembled the quilt I knew exactly where I wanted her to be on this quilt so I had to move a few others around. I have to admit that it is my favorite square and I even ironed on two sparkly purple butterflies to make it stand out a little more. Anyway, I have realized lately that our lives are just made up of life experiences, good and bad, happy and sad, spiritual and temporal. I have to admit that losing a grandchild to a horrendous accident is the most unpleasant thing a person can go through, at least it has been for me so far. But, I have learned so much. It seems like when things are going really well we don't learn the lessons that we need to know. I am so thankful for the atonement, that I can repent everyday (believe me I need that ), and that because of the Savior I hopefully will be able to be with Kamber and my other family members on the other side of the veil. I know they are cheering me on everyday to be kinder, to give service happily, and to be grateful for all the tender mercies that I enjoy in my life. We never know what is around the corner. It seems that the blindsides are the worst. I guess that is what I am thankful for today, that my Dad at 81 and we are able to celebrate another birthday with him.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Happy birthday to your dad! He is one of my favorite people.

mrs. dph said...

I got tears in my eyes reading this post. You are a great writer, Teri. And an amazing quilter, too--your dad's quilt is gorgeous.