Friday, January 15, 2010

Labor of Love

About two months ago my Relief Society President asked me if I would make a quilt for a sister in our ward who is battling breast cancer. I had already made her a quilt but told her I would do it. I decided I would do animal prints so off to Hobby Lobby we went. We had it all planned that at our December Enrichment we would have the sisters write a little note on the 6" blocks of fabric and then we would put them all together. I brought all the materials to the meeting because I was assured that she wouldn't be there because she had just had chemo and wouldn't be feeling well enough. Well, that didn't work out as planned because she ended up making it to our meeting, so we had to go to plan B. Plan B was to hand the squares out and hope we got them back. After a month of reminding the sisters about their squares we finally started to get them trickling in. Then the Pres. decided she would like to give it to her on her birthday on Jan. 14. I have spent two weeks putting this quilt together and with the help of another sister in the ward we were able to give it to the Pres. to deliver it yesterday, her birthday. On Wed. Mindi and I were asked to take a meal in also. As we dropped the food off I went in to tell her "Hi" and she was sleeping. It was almost 7:00 p.m. and she didn't look like she was feeling that well. As we drove off I was just hoping and praying that I would never have to endure cancer and the treatments that are so absolutely hideous. I have side affects when I take antibiotics, I know just the treatment would make me so sick I would give up. I realized that we don't get to choose our trials. I have "kind of" survived the death of a grandchild, and I never thought that would be possible. I don't know what is in store for me. I'm not afraid to die because I know I have lots of family on the other side, I just don't want to suffer. It was a spiritual thing making this quilt. I was impressed by the kind words of love and encouragement each sister wrote. I felt the spirit as I was piecing them together and then sewing the quilt into a masterpiece. I was thankful Heavenly Father gave me the talent to even take on a project and trust that I would be able to get it done and it be acceptable to Him. We are asked to do hard things while on this earth. I'm not a big fan of "HARD" but if it helps me be more like the Savior then I guess I will just keep on trying to be the best I can be and struggle through the trials I am asked to endure.

Sharon, Ruthanne and me tying the quilt.

5 comments:

Dena said...

The quilt looks beautiful! I've only seen it thru the blog, but I was so amazed at how amazing it looked. You definitely have a talent and I appreciate your willingness to serve.

Debbie said...

Beautiful! Sorry I never made it during the Christmas break. I got sick that last week nd didn't go anywhere. My goal is to make it over there sometime soon.

The McNeil Family said...

YOu are so talented. I think it looks amazing. YOu will truly be blessed for this labor of love.

The McNeil Family said...

You make the best blankets.. My kids love the one you have made.

Unknown said...

I don't know why the Lord has blessed me with YOU, but Teri I love you and am so grateful to you for both of the quilts you made for me. They are beautiful and I will never forget your labor of love.