Friday, August 31, 2012

"I Am Not In Charge"

Everyday I have a list of things I need to get done. Some days I am pretty productive but others seem to go by without accomplishing anything. Yesterday my sister and I planned on going to the oncologist with our parents. It has been a month since Dad had radiation so he needed to see the doctor.  Mell picked me up at 9:30 a.m. for his 10:00 o'clock appointment. When we got there they realized there had been a mistake and the doctor isn't even in on Thursday morning. They rescheduled the appointment for 1:00 p.m. and we left. I went with my parents to the farmer's market to get some vegetables for the corn party they are having in their ward next week. We came back to my house where I fed them lunch and we visited until it was time to meet my sister back at the doctor's. This time we got to see the doctor and discuss how Dad is feeling. The doctor was pleased with the lack of pain he is having, gave him a new prescription and sent us on our way. He won't need to go back until December. As my sister and I were driving home we talked about something the doctor said. It went something like, "I'm not in charge, so I have no idea how long he can fight this, maybe three to five years." We have just been hoping he can hang in there until Lennie gets home from his mission next June. Is there a possibility it will be a lot longer than that? None of us are guaranteed even one more day, but when a loved one has cancer it makes you thankful for each day you can talk to them and be with them. Even though I didn't get much done yesterday, I had a day with my parents that someday I will look back on and wish I had a lot more days like yesterday.

No comments: