Monday, August 27, 2012

"Life Isn't Fair"

I think the first time in my life I can remember I felt that "life isn't fair" was when I was around five years old. My uncle was killed while serving in the Air Force when his plane crashed into a mountain in northern Arizona. I remember my aunt and her four children coming to live with us until they settled into their own home and she remarried. As I grew up, got married and had my own children there were plenty of times I would think life had dealt me a bad hand to play. Two weeks ago while Spencer was in training camp with the Patriots, he suffered a hard hit to the head, a concussion. This was the first time in his football career when the injury involved the head. He took three weeks off and then while playing in his first game on Friday night, one of his teammates rolled over on his leg, hurting his surgically repaired knee. This morning as I was saying my prayers asking that he would be watched over and that the Patriots would see his talent and if it was meant to be, he would make their team. Over the last five years we have seen the workings of the NFL and sometimes it isn't pretty or kind, it's a business. I didn't have a nice warm feeling, nothing horrible, just not a good feeling about him staying and playing 2,000 miles away in the freezing cold. So sure enough, we got the call this morning that he was cut from the team. I wasn't surprised and he feels a sense of relief.  I think there comes a time when you get tired of being injured and worry about the toll it's taking on your body. He says he's done, I hope he'll look at all of his options. If I had it my way they would be heading home today, but they have a house to sell and a baby due in six weeks. Life isn't fair, but I do know that our Heavenly Father is watching over him and will guide him to the next village and new opportunities.

No comments: