Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Grandparents Day With Kylie


On Monday afternoon I got a call from Jenn's phone. When I answered it I heard a sweet little voice that said, "Grandma, this is Kylie can you come to my school tomorrow for Grandparents Day?" I was trying to think of what I was doing on Tuesday and then I realized that whatever I was going to do wasn't as important as going to see Kylie. It isn't a "news flash" that I have social anxieties. I hate going in to situations where I don't know how many people are going to be there or what we will be doing. I also worry about how I will compare to others. I got a reminder call that evening making sure I would be able to attend, to eat lunch in the cafeteria with her and then over to the library for the book fair. I worried all night about getting up, doing the chores and being out to Queen Creek by 11:00 a.m., I also worried about what to wear and if I could handle the extreme heat we've been having. Worrying has been passed down to me in my DNA from my dear Mother, and I HATE it. Well, everything went so good. Jenn and I went to McDonald's to get some lunch then off to the school we went. I knew the secretary and they were really friendly. I looked around and there were all kinds of grandparents, short and pudgy, tall and thin, old and not so old, grey hair and dyed like mine. I had worried for nothing, just like always. I even ran into a friend who had been there all morning because she had so many grand kids at that school. As we were leaving I told Jenn how happy I was that was over. She said, "Yeah but you still have fifteen more grand kids you will have to do this for." Now that is overwhelming!

3 comments:

larsen family said...

Grandma-
I'm so glad you came to my school. Thanks for doing a post about me. I love you Grandma and I hope you can come next year!:)
Love,
Kylie

Alishia said...

Can I just tell you how much I love you??!! Really, I do. It was fun visiting the other day. You always make me laugh. I'm so glad that Candi took time to paint your toes. If you ever need help again, call me! I'd be happy to.

The McNeil Family said...

That is such a sweet picture of you and Kylie!! I bet Kylie was so excited that you came to her school! What a sweet memory for Kylie