Saturday, April 30, 2011

Shopping for Mother's Day

I've spent most of this week shopping. I started at the grocery store on Monday, and then we've been to fabric and scrapbooking stores and then yesterday and today I've been at the malls trying to find gifts for Mother's Day. Last night Mindi and I took Tristyn to some of her favorite stores. She is so picky we decided that we wouldn't give our opinions because FOR SURE if we liked it she would hate it. While driving to the mall I realized this would be the first year I wouldn't be buying anything for Rich's Mom, Beth. Her birthday is this week on the 4th of May so I would always mail something to her for both holidays. She passed away a few months ago, we will certainly miss her this year. I was saddened this week as I talked to a friend of mine who has never had any children. I listened as she told me how she hates Mother's Day and it shouldn't be on a Sunday because when she goes to church all they talk about is Mothers. I have a wonderful cousin who has never been married or had children but she is the best sister and "auntie" anyone could ever want. I'm not a big fan of this day but not because I don't have any children or grandchildren, but because sometimes I feel like I was a failure in my parenting. I do believe that we as women whether married or single, mothers or not, do our very best to be good examples to those around us. This afternoon my sister Mell and I went shopping for our Mother. With Len and Julie on a mission and my other sibling going through some rough times, it is just the two of us trying to find a gift to represent our love and appreciation for her. What could we possibly buy at the mall that would even put a dent in all she has done for us? Without her sacrifice we wouldn't be where we are today. She was not only a school teacher but she taught us the gospel. One of her favorite sayings to me is "Teri, what would the Savior do?" Hopefully some day I can be that person she would want me to be.

1 comment:

Stephanie Abney said...

Super sweet post, Teri. Your mom is amazing but so are you and all of your family - love to you all!! You've done a great job. Don't think otherwise. None of us are perfect moms (or aunties, etc.) but you have so much to offer so many. I LOVE being around you. You are funny, caring (your love of your family & your animals is huge), and you ALWAYS make people feel SO welcome when they come to your house. These are wonderful gifts that you share and I have been lucky to be the recipient of such gifts from you as well. Happy Mother's Day next week!!