Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Paying It Forward

We had a nice anniversary, Rich fixed the pump in my pond, picked some roses and took me to the Ward Mexican Fiesta for dinner. It was a fun day but I was so tired from being up most of the night with Bella giving birth, all I wanted was some sleep. I spent most of yesterday sewing a little skirt for Brookie. I found the pattern while shopping for material for Mindi's new baby due this summer. It felt so good to just relax and be creative, but I felt guilty for not wanting to do all the other household chores. I told Mindi today that I'm just burned out. Thirty-five years of cleaning house, doing laundry, mowing yards, and raising kids has taken a toll on my body and my sanity. I find myself becoming annoyed more easily, and just the little things seem to get to me. We talked about charity last week in RS and then this Sunday it was about being honest. After I left church I realized that I try to be an honest person, but I struggle with charity sometimes. Mindi and I decided to make some spring wreaths for some of our favorite people, so off we went to Hobby Lobby, Michael's and then finally Jo Ann's. As we were pulling out of Hobby Lobby there was a guy in a big truck getting his wheelchair out. He had a remote that moved his chair out so he could get in. I was so impressed that he was all alone and obviously he couldn't walk by himself. Mindi said, "see Mom, it could be a lot worse." I then said, "that's the problem it probably is going to get worse." At Michael's I just sat in the car with Troy because he was in need of a nap. While I was people watching I noticed several ladies coming out with canes, walkers and others just limping. It's interesting that when you have a disability you notice others who might have the same challenges. I think my expectations were different than what I got out of my surgery. When I complain my Mom just says, "but at least you are out of pain." Yes, most of the pain is gone, but I can't walk very well, and that gets me down. This weekend we had two more drownings and two others who were rescued. This always puts me in a dark place. You go down that road again knowing this time how these families feel. Ethan and Jenn have started a non profit to make caskets for children who pass away. We are busy trying to come up with ideas to raise money to help pay for these "labors of love." We were helped by so many friends, family and ward members that we want to "pay it forward" so other families can feel our love and support for them. Life is short and we never know when something will happen to someone we love. So I guess it's time to cheer up and start working.

No comments: