Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easter Pagaent Message

Rich Damir and Hamra at the Easter Pageant
On Tues. morning Rich informed me that he had invited a friend of his to come to the Easter Pageant at the Mesa Temple. At first I told him I didn't know if I would be able to walk that far or sit on the hard metal chairs in the cold. As the day progressed I kept hoping they would call to say they couldn't make it so I could stay home and watch the"Biggest Loser." Well, at 6:00 p.m. they called Rich to say they were five minutes away from our house. So, off we went Rich and I and Damir and his girlfriend Hamra. Damir used to work for Rich, he had recently come to the U.S. from Bosnia. But three years ago he was riding a motorcycle without a helmet and hit some railroad ties that had been buried in the road. He was thrown off his motorcycle and hit his head on a rock in the road causing severe brain damage. I remember Rich going to the hospital to see him and coming home so sad. The doctors and nurses all said he wasn't going to make it and if he did he would be a vegetable, that they should "pull the plug" on his life. Well, his Mother wouldn't even consider that, telling the hospital staff that he would make it and she would never give up on her son. As we walked in to the Temple grounds it was so peaceful. Here I was limping along but poor Damir took quite a while to make it to our chairs. The last time I saw him was at Kamber's funeral and he was extremely thin, white as a ghost and in a wheelchair. As we sat and watched the Pageant about the life of Christ, I thought of how important the Atonement is to all of us. Although most of us are struggling with some sort of challenge we can all make it back to our Heavenly Father if we repent, and live the commandments. It sounds so simple, but in reality it gets complicated some times. After the Pageant we went to eat at Denny's, it was close and late around 9:00 p.m. As we sat and visited I asked him a bunch of questions like, do you remember the accident? How long were you in a coma? How old is your little boy now? As we talked I remembered a conversation I had with one of my favorite people in the whole world. I remember him saying that if he was in an accident and was on life support, and wasn't going to be at least 95% he didn't want to live, he wanted us to "pull the plug." After talking to Damir and seeing how thankful he is to be alive, I felt so disappointed in my loved ones attitude. NO his life isn't perfect, he goes to therapy everyday and his girlfriend drives him everywhere he needs to go, but darn it he seemed happier than any one of us who haven't been through what he has. He is thankful for just being alive. What a wonderful place to be, having gratitude for the simplest things. I need to change my attitude and hopefully I will never have to make that horrible decision.

No comments: