Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hand Shocking and Puppies

I've been busy working on quilts and staying busy with chores around the house.  There is never a want for things to do with the house, yard and animals. We have had two litters of puppies born in the last month, they take a lot of work keeping them alive and healthy.  Mindi does most of the puppy care, while I feed and take care of the big dogs. Yesterday I had the test on my poor right hand. When I went to the doctor he thought it was carpel tunnel and after the torture test yesterday it was confirmed.  Because I struggle with anxiety, I was worried about the pain involved in the shocking of my nerves in my hand.  I had heard from a friend that it "hurts like hell," but a couple of family members said it was "no big deal." I think it was somewhere in between, there were times I thought I might shout out some cuss words and then after it was over I could say it wasn't that bad.  The Neurologist confirmed that I do have "significant damage to my nerves and muscles in my hand and that my doctor will probably offer surgery." So on and on we go, trying to make sense of this sixty plus year-old body that seems to be falling apart right now. This morning as I was talking to my Mom, we went down memory lane about her life. They have released her from working in the Temple, which Dad had wanted before he passed away. We don't think it's safe for an almost 86 year-old to be driving home late at night across town. Mom has lost a lot of her courage since Dad left us and I'm just waiting for the day when she's had enough of living alone. I do think it's good for her to stay in her routine and she loves working in her yard and that keeps her mind busy and gives her something to do. She talked about losing her Dad when she was sixteen years old. I guess it doesn't matter what age you are when you lose your Dad, it is still hard. Some day we will all be called home and someday we will have more family on the other side than here, I know it will be a sweet reunion when that time comes.



No comments: