Friday, January 30, 2015

Dad's Birthday Celeration of His Life

I slept so good last night and was so excited to be able to stay home and get caught up on my housework. I know that sounds stupid, but after the last two weeks of worrying about Dad and then planning a funeral, I just want to get back to normal. As I've looked back on the last week, I realize just how blessed I am. To have the parents that I was born to, and then to be able to have grown up with my wonderful siblings. I was surprised at how well we worked together to pull off the funeral. We all had opinions that were considered and it was a joy to spend some time with them. As we walked into the funeral home to dress Dad for burial, I felt so weird. I asked the man helping us if my feelings were normal. He said, "it is called the funeral fog, everyone has it and it's all part of the grieving process." Whew! I'm not as crazy as I thought maybe I was becoming. When Dad passed away on the 22nd, I started thinking about his birthday. He had planned on having another dose of chemotherapy that day. I hadn't felt good about him doing another round, but both he and my Mom knew that it was the only thing that could stop the cancer from growing. Instead of having chemo, we had a birthday party for him. I can't express my love for all those who supported us through this time of sorrow. He looked so beautiful in his casket. My Mom even mentioned how he looked like he was smiling. It was if I could hear him tell us thank you, over and over again for supporting his decision to be out of pain. Dad was never one to back down from a fight and he took cancer to the very end, living ten years longer than the doctors ever thought. He had faith in his doctors and had the courage to do hard things. My Dad and I were so much alike we banged heads a few times during my life. The most profound thing he ever said to me was when I was around sixteen. We were arguing about some stupid thing and he said, "You know Teri, you are never going to be as smart as you think you are right now." Boy was he right, I feel like I'm getting dumber the older I get. Yesterday when all the family arrived for the funeral it was like a reunion. Most of my cousins were there and some of my friends that I love very much, came to support me. The most talented organist in the church even volunteered to come play, which added so much spirit to the services. We now turn to our Mother who is left behind. She is a woman of faith and has held up so well during all of this. I don't know how families could do something so hard without the help of everyone. I am truly blessed to have been born to this family and into this church. I know the Savior lives and because of his sacrifice I will see my Dad again. I know he has been able to see the Father he never knew and hopefully been able to talk to Kamber. We will all have to pass through the veil to return home to live with those who have gone before, until then I'll just keep working hard to be worthy to join them someday.
 




No comments: