Friday, January 16, 2015

Dad's In The Hopsital

I had so much I needed and wanted to get done yesterday. I spent the week picking up all the ingredients to make green corn tamales with a friend of mine who has wanted to learn how to make them for a year now. I got up early and started my day when I got a call from Mom telling me she was in the hospital with my Dad. He has been really sick after having chemotherapy last Wednesday but we were hoping things were turning around for him.  I guess after falling asleep on the couch watching t.v. , she woke up at 1:30 a.m. and Dad was still up watching a show. She tried to get him up out of his chair and in bed, when he decided to just sit down on the floor. She tried for half an hour to get him up when finally he told her to call 911. After the paramedics arrived they decided he needed to go to the hospital, so they took him in an ambulance and one of the firemen drove her truck, parked it and got her into the hospital where they admitted him and started running tests. I hurried and did my tamales and then my sister and I headed over to the hospital. We got there just when they were getting him back in his room from running some tests and neither one of them had eaten a bite of food. I had brought two tamales for Mom but nothing sounded good to Dad to eat. We ordered some food anyway and stayed with them until some other family members came and then we left for home.  The nurse came in before we left and told us that he has a huge blood clot in his right leg and they were starting a heparin drip to dissolve the clot, hopefully preventing it from going to his lungs or heart.  As we were driving home we were talking about all the options we have to take care of our parents. I don't think he is strong enough to take anymore chemo, but without it he will surely die. I'm not so sure that taking it may kill him also. When you get in your sixties and have parents in their eighties you know at any time life can change. Losing Kamber at two years old is proof that we are all on borrowed time anyway. So today I will be going back over to the hospital to support him and hopefully he will be improving and will someday be able to come home. Until then we are just in a waiting game that we knew would happen at some time in our lives.

No comments: