Monday, January 26, 2015

"The State of the Soul"

What a whirlwind of emotion I've been in these last four days. Just a few more days and I will hopefully be able to get back to normal, whatever that is. On the way down to Hospice last Thursday it felt so strange to be heading on the freeway to be with someone as they pass from this earth. I had only been asleep two hours when we got the call, so I know part of my mood was because of being so tired. I remember telling Rich how weird I felt and that it seemed I was being asked to do a spiritual thing as a mortal being. I can't really explain it but it was something I had never felt before. I have never actually watched someone take their last breath until then. It was interesting to me to see just how fast his coloring and skin changed when he stopped breathing, and I knew his spirit had left his body.  While we were waiting for Bunkers to come pick him up, we were talking about Dad and Len was quoting some scriptures. When we got in the car to come home I asked him to tell me where to find one that I felt was special. It is Alma 40:11-12, which says, "Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection--Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life. And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow." Then the scriptures go on to tell what will happen to those who are evil which doesn't sound very fun. At times I'm so sad that Dad has left us behind, and I've even had a hint of anger that Mom is now left alone for the rest of her life. But I am so happy for him that he is out of pain and is enjoying his state of rest and peace, where all his troubles and sorrows are gone. That's where I want to be.

No comments: