Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Yeterday Was Really Hard

Yesterday was a really hard day, one of many more to come I'm sure. When my SIL Julie and I got to the hospital, Dad was really struggling. My sister had just left and my youngest brother Ben was there visiting. Dad wanted to have the "talk" with us, the talk that every child doesn't want to ever have with their aged parents. He wanted to let us know that he is tired. He is in pain. He doesn't want to prolong his life when he feels so bad. I totally respect that and told him I didn't want him to suffer any more either.  So what's the next step? When Kamber passed away it was sudden, crappy but we knew it was over for her and she was back home in heaven. With Dad there are so many questions, like how much time does he have left and what do we do with him to keep him the most comfortable? When he told the nurses yesterday that he is finished and doesn't want to fight anymore, he started the ball rolling down the hill. A social worker was sent in and then Hospice. I never really knew what Hospice does except that when they are called in it is a death sentence. I got some education yesterday that you can only get when you have someone close to you is terminally ill. So after listening to her, we now need to make some decisions. Dad will stay at the hospital until they have a bed open up in a Hospice Facility. When he is stable and ready to be moved he will go somewhere else, that is where we come in, his family, his wife, kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. I know Dad is most worried about my Mom because he thinks she is in denial, which she is. She kept telling him yesterday that he has to get better so he can come home and mow the yard. This big strong, athletic, righteous, competitive Father of mine has given up on his mortality. Now it's our job to keep him comfortable and give him the dignity he deserves until the end of his life. This is really hard, I hope we are up to the task to honor his wishes and let him go.

No comments: