Monday, April 21, 2014

Just One Broken Leg

I woke up yesterday at 4:30 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep. I hate that when my mind is racing about all that needs to get done and if I could just get a few more hours of sleep, my day would go so much better. My parents were having Stake Conference and because their building is under renovation they were going to have to go clear in to Phoenix, so they just came over and spent the day with us. We had a good crowd for dinner, even though half of them couldn't come because of conflicts. Life is changing fast as a lot of the grandkids are married and have children of their own. With Spencer and Robbie living out East we never have all the family together anymore. When most everyone had left I ventured out to feed the animals. My Mom comes out to help when she's here because she doesn't want me to fall and being on crutches it helps. Anyway, as we headed out I could see someone on the trampoline comforting someone who was hurt. As I got closer I saw it was Mary's boyfriend, Jeff talking to Elise, her ten year-old daughter. I guess he had popped her on the trampoline and when she landed wrong it snapped her leg, breaking it between the knee and ankle. She was screaming in pain and wanting her Mom and Grandma. It wouldn't be a Greer party without someone getting hurt. So off to the ER they went and hopefully she will be able to recover from this injury. As I talked to Candi later she was a little melancholy about life. It seems like as the kids get old, things are changing. I can feel a shift in my own life as my grandkids get closer to college, missions and marriage. Now I know how my parents feel at 85, you see your posterity and pray for them, but when it comes down to it all we have is Faith and Hope that they will be guided and protected. Sometimes I feel so powerless, I guess it's my control issues I struggle with. Anyway, as Candi said, "Easter 2014 is in the books," and I survived another family get together and we only had one broken leg, Awesome!

1 comment:

Stephanie Abney said...

Love you, love your family. So sorry about Elise's broken leg. Ouch. Carry on. You amaze me.