Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Two Cakes For Dad

Today is my Dad's 85th birthday. I'm sure he is thrilled to share it with Oprah Winfrey who turns 60 today. All of us adult children are heading over to Scottsdale to take him dinner and celebrate later tonight. My assignment was to make him cake. I have had a tradiditon for over thirty years of making him a lemon cake on his birthday and Father's Day. He has been so sick for the last couple of years fighting prostrate cancer that he hasn't wanted anything much to eat, so I didn't bother cooking for him. Anyway, I went to the store and bought all the ingredients so they would be fresh and then picked some lemons off my tree, you can't get fresher than that. I mixed everything together and remembered I needed to put a little bit of lemon extract in the cake mix. So I pulled it out of the cupboard and dumped some in. The smell wasn't right and it smelled like pure alcohol or something toxic. I took it down to Mindi's to have her smell and taste it and after begging, she confirmed it wasn't good. So after all that work, I had to start over. I now have my second cake in the oven, I may just throw the first one out to the chickens and hope it doesn't poison them. After I got over being ticked off, I realized that there was a lesson to learn in this experience. You can do everything perfect but just one thing you do can spoil the whole thing. Hopefully the rest of the day goes better than my cake making experience did and Dad has a nice day, and Oprah too.

No comments: