Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Better 2014 Hopefully

I am slowly getting the decorations put away, the tree down and hopefully after tomorrow my house will be back to normal. I can honestly say I'm glad 2013 is over and I have an opportunity to leave that in the past and move forward. The end of the year found Mindi and I at the Maricopa County Animal Control Center in Mesa waiting to pick up our two little dogs, who someone either called on, or took there. After paying all the necessary fines we were told to go to the back and pick them up. It was around 1:30 in the afternoon and we were the first ones in line. Just as we got there, they shut the door and rolled down the aluminum door and left us standing for over an hour while three different trucks came in with either dogs or cats for processing. As we stood there, I became angrier and angrier. If we would have been just a few minutes earlier, we would have been out of there but instead we ended up spending over three hours at the pound. What a sad place to be and especially during the holidays. As we were standing there a man came in bringing a cat. He said he wanted to surrender him to the pound. The lady started asking the usual questions like, how old is he? What is his name, and then told him it would be $51 to turn him in. When he told her he was a fifteen year old cat I almost started to cry. After fifteen years why would you take him to the pound? I have friends who don't like animals and that's okay, but to me if you don't feel an obligation to take care of these creatures who don't have a way to care for themselves, I just don't understand. Anyway, we are trying to be vigilant about keeping our roaming dogs home and are hoping for better things in the new year.

No comments: